Monday, April 28, 2008

I used Thule for my kayak....

I used my Hullavator last weekend. It works great. I did do a lot of research on it before I purchased it. I posted on a kayak fishing site about the racks. Great reports on it. I did a little of bragging on the site about my Thule products. People are impressed.

I wish I had purchased it from Amazon. I bought it locally in CT. The price of gas added onto the final cost of it. I found all my items in Amazon. It fits my Jeep Liberty 2004. The 58 inch bars are just right. If the bars were any bigger, it would require cutting them. I noticed that if you buy all the items separate. You get the same price. I like Amazon for the Hullavator and locks. I wonder why they don't sell the bars and cross rails. But, Rack Warehouse sells them.

Thule 897XT Hullavator (Amazon-free shipping)


6 pack of locks used for Hullavator and 450 CrossRoad Railing (Amazon-free shipping)


Thule 450 CrossRoad Railing (Rack Warehouse-good price/free shipping)


Thule LB58 Bars...Fits my Jeep (Rack Warehouse-good price/free shipping)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just installed a Hullavator on our Jeep Liberty too. But the rack sits right over the side rail, putting about 100# of weight (hullavator plus kayak) over a single rail. The entire rack is only rated for 125# evenly distributed. So I am a little worried and hope Jeep's tradition of over-engineering its products applies to the Liberty's roof rack! Tell me if you have had any problems!

Diane

popeye said...

Diane,

I have a 2004 Liberty. Make sure the rails are parallel. Put a 4 foot level on the front and rear rail. The Jeep is bigger in the front than in the rear.

I have a Hobie Kayak that weighs 70 pounds. No problem at all. Make sure the clamps are tight. The first time I used it. The Hullavator lifted up from the weight of the kayak. It actally bent the bars and Hullavator brace but not the actal Hullavator.

I am very happy with it. You need to wiggle the kayak when putting it up. Coming down is easy. Spary some WD40 on it. It will be very easy to use.

John

kayak fishing. said...

What a great discussion and marvelous picture on kayak fishing.